Bioidentical VS Synthetic Hormones
Bioidentical hormones refer to hormones that are structurally the same as the natural hormones produced in your body. When it comes to men’s health, the most commonly prescribed is testosterone.
There are two main types of testosterone available, synthetic and bioidentical. Both are manufactured and produced in a lab but the important part is how differently your body reacts to each.
- Bioidentical testosterone duplicates the exact chemical and molecular structure of the naturally produced hormone. Therefore, the body thinks it is the real deal, and your body reacts as it should.
- Synthetic testosterone does not have the same molecular structure of the naturally produced hormone, so it doesn’t quite fit the receptor. As a result, these hormones can cause unwanted side effects, such as some cancers.
Testosterone molecules are a bit like keys to a lock; they have a 3D shape that perfectly fits the hormone receptors. When these molecules attach to the receptor it fits tightly, triggering all the benefits testosterone has on the body. Synthetic testosterone has a slightly different ‘key’; it still attaches to the receptors, but it’s not a perfect fit, often causing unwanted side effects.
Take our free hormone assessment to see if you could benefit from Hormone Replacement Therapy!
What are the Advantages to Bioidentical Hormones?
What Are the Downsides with Synthetic Hormones?
If you compare bioidentical hormones to synthetic, the natural version is the smart man’s choice. Synthetic hormones usually derive from ‘natural’ sources such as pregnant horse urine; however, they are not natural for humans. Scientists manipulate these hormones in a lab to mimic the biological paths a human hormone would take, but they lack the correct structure to offer the same benefits. These hormones, because they differ from the real thing, are likely to cause more unpleasant side effects, including some forms of cancer.
So Why Should You Use Bioidentical Hormones?
- They are the most effective form of hormone replacement.
- They act like hormones produced by your body offering the full spectrum of benefits.
- They can be custom compounded for individual needs.
- They have few or no side effects.
- The National Institutes of Health prefer bioidentical hormones for HRT in humans.
What Can Bioidentical Hormones Do For Me?
One significant advantage of bioidentical hormones is that they can be customized for each individual patient with a combination of hormones and strengths to suit. Bioidentical hormones can be administered as a cream or daily subcutaneous injection and usually has very few side effects. This is called bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT)
Testosterone levels naturally start to decline when men reach the age of 30-40 years at a rate of about 1-2% every year. Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy restores optimum testosterone levels, relieving symptoms caused by low testosterone, leading to benefits such as:
- Better erections.
- Increase sex drive (libido) and improve sexual satisfaction.
- Rebuild weak muscles and lean muscle mass.
- Strengthen your bones, reducing osteoporosis risk.
- Feel energized, reduce stress, and regain mental capacity and memory.
- Improved concentration, clears brain fog, and improves performance at work.
The Truth About Synthetic Hormones
The advantage for companies that create ‘synthetic hormones’ in a lab is that they can alter the hormone slightly, get FDA approval, receive a patent on it, and then exclusively sell their ‘new product’ to the medical profession at a considerable profit. This alteration can, of course, be for legitimate reasons. By changing the hormone structure, they can alter the effect it has on specific medical conditions. However, there are already many ‘patented versions’ of different hormones available, meaning the need to create new ones is limited. Because bioidentical hormones are a copy of the hormones your body produces, it is impossible to patent them for the market, so they have no value to large corporations, even if they are better for your body.
Bioidentical hormones are the exact hormones that our body makes. If a hormone is bioidentical, then there cannot be a patent because they are the identical structure formed in your body.
The creators of Synthroid were taken to court in 2000 and lost, claiming that their drug is more effective at treating hypothyroidism than other generic thyroid medications. These claims highlight the lengths large pharmaceutical companies will go to ‘discredit’ other medications to promote their own. The power these companies have is enormous. Even medical conferences and training courses we send our staff on are often sponsored by companies trying to market their patent-protected drugs.
Because Bioidentical hormones have the same structure as your own, the benefits they offer are the same, and side effects are limited. For example, bioidentical testosterone cypionate is metabolized by the body just as natural testosterone would be.
Male Excel Treatment Plan
By being proactive with your healthcare, together, we can make a difference!